Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recognizing What One Has


Today, I was weeding and moving rocks for a planned stone patio when I spotted a familiar leaf. A tiny dogwood seedling caught my eye. On closer examination, I recognized it as a pagoda dogwood/alternate-leaved dogwood (Cornus alternifolia). We have a few in the yard, and I find seedlings periodically--great for me, because I want to add them to the hedgerow and woodland.

I dug "the little guy" up and planted him in a pot for now until I find the right place for it.

Since at least last year if not two years now, I've been meaning to do a series of post entitled "Ever Vigilant" in which I post about spotting seedling multiflora rose and other invasives and nipping them in the bud...as well as spotting the natives that I want to save and possibly move. This is the closest I've come to that. :)

No comments: