Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Friday, June 17, 2011

Swallow Nest, Wasp Nest

Now that I realize that the tree swallows were still building their nest and not raising their young already, I decided to take a look in the box. They didn't dive bomb me as they have in past years--never actually making contact as I'd read prior to experiencing the scare tactic. Perhaps because there are only eggs at the moment and no hatchlings.

I spotted a wasp nest (I believe it is a species from Europe similar to our yellow jackets--but, luckily, minus the temper). Perhaps they could have lived in harmony with the tree swallow family, but I wasn't taking any chances, so, after taking a picture, I grabbed a stick and knocked the nest onto the ground.

Shortly after I walked away, one of the parents (I can't tell them apart) went over to check that everything was okay. :)

Perhaps this pair of tree swallows will learn to trust me, but I'm guessing after the young have hatched, they won't take as kindly to my monitoring the box.



No comments: