Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Saturday, February 18, 2012

House Hunting

Although I listed them in the bird count results, they deserve a post of their own...the bluebirds!

After spending so much time looking out the back window counting birds coming for the seeds I put out, I looked out the side window, and there in the distance, I spotted movement around one of the nest boxes. Grabbing the binoculars, I was thrilled to see that there were five--count them--five bluebirds hanging out around the nest box. While counting them, one (a female, I think) came out of the hole in the box. This is the same nest box that has been used every year--and the one farthest from the house (and from any perches). It seems to me this must be the family of birds that were here in the fall--two parents and three of their offspring, I'd guess--all grown up.

Although I have two other boxes set up, I'd like to add one or two more--I just have to figure out *where* to set them up. Between the bluebirds and the tree swallows, I'd like to see all of the boxes used.

Unfortunately, the battery on the camera was being charged, and by the time I had it ready, the bluebirds were gone, but, since I hate to post without a photo, I'll post the pictures I did take when, with the unaided eye, I imagined I saw something dark perched on the box.

I put some dried cranberries out later in the day in hopes that they'll find them and maybe I'll attract them to a feeder with fruit.

No comments: