Just the back yard!? Nah, I want the front and side yards landscaped in natives too.



Wednesday, February 29, 2012

That Time of Year Again



I'm a week late...at least based on the past two years. The other day, I finally planted the wildflower seeds I'd collected...and some that a friend sent me. Thanks Glenn.

Last year when I got around to planting my seeds, I realized that it was exactly one year ago to the day that I planted my first batch. Without checking the date until today, I figured it had passed. No biggie, I'm just glad I'm getting them done before it gets too warm--I want them to experience the freezing and thawing that should help them germinate.









With such mild weather, I thought I'd have planted them over Christmas break, but I never got around to it. After planting them, I realized I didn't see any of the "magic ingredient" around. Not that I'm superstitious, but I'd covered the last two batches with snow--partly so it would melt and water them and partly to help prevent birds from getting at them (not that I expect them to go after them). Surprisingly, after looking around the front (north facing) yard, I found a little bit of snow from where I'd shoveled the sidewalk.

Here's hoping I'll have a lot to plant come this spring--or fall (remember, I'm a procrastinator...and didn't get them planted until very late this year).



No comments: